Ohio Knights of Columbus
The Ohio Charity Foundation, Inc. and the Ohio Knights of Columbus are pleased to announce that, for the 2020-2021 school year, numerous $1,000 scholarships will once again be made available for Catholic students (grades nine through twelve) attending Catholic High Schools in Ohio. This is the twenty-first consecutive year that the Knights of Columbus Scholarships have been awarded to our outstanding Catholic High School students. More than $769,475 has been awarded during that period.
The requirements that will be considered for this scholarship are financial need, Grade Point Average of 2.5 or higher, academic awards, community and/or parish involvement, and extracurricular activities. Preference may be given to students who are sons or daughters of a Knight of Columbus member in good standing; or a son or daughter of a deceased member. We have a particular desire to help students, who may be considering a religious vocation, stay in a Catholic High School to foster and encourage that calling.
No more than one scholarship per Catholic High School will be awarded. A selection committee representing the Ohio Charity Foundation, Inc. and the Knights of Columbus will make the final selection of the scholarship winners.
Did a deserving student in your high school receive one? Please encourage every student who fits the qualifications to apply for the Knights of Columbus Scholarship.
- Must be a practicing Catholic.
- Must be attending an Ohio Catholic High School.
- No more than one winner per school.
- Must include latest grade transcript.
- Application Deadline – Wednesday before last Friday in November.
- Do not request a delivery receipt.
- Mid-September – Applications, Rules, and Bulletin Board Announcements are emailed to all Ohio Catholic High School Principals and Guidance Counselors. They are also posted on the Ohio Knights of Columbus website.
- Late November – Scholarship submission deadline.
- Late December – Scholarship winners are notified by email.
- Mid January – All schools are notified by email of all winners and the Winners’ List is posted on the Ohio K of C website.
- Late January through March – Checks are formally presented to the winners.
- Financial need as presented by the student.
- Scholastic achievement (GPA).
- Scholastic honors and extra-curricular school activities.
- Involvement in parish programs and activities.
- Involvement in local community programs and activities.
- Preference may be given to children of current Knights of Columbus in the event of any ties.
We are currently able to provide approximately 41 scholarships annually, 30 from the original Ohio Charity Foundation’s contributions (the 501c3 arm of the Ohio Knights of Columbus), 6 additionally from annual OCF grants, and 5 from individual and council contributions. A $20,000 donation or bequest in a will can provide an annual $1,000 scholarship to the school of your choice in your name. If you are over 70½, you can make a tax-free contribution (Qualified Charitable Distribution) from an IRA. Contact Robert F. Collins, Jr., Scholarship Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.